Thursday, 6 December 2012

The End is Nigh (on Impossible?)

Image courtesy of Universe Today
By now we'll have all heard the predictions about 21st of December 2012 (and a sadly large number of us will have seen the movie). The end of the world or the end of social consciousness as we know it? Either way, to a lot of people, two weeks tomorrow is a pretty big deal.

From the theory that the Earth will be sucked into a nearby black hole to the one that involves a shift in spiritual awareness, there are a lot of suggestions as to what the end of the Mayan Long Count calender might mean. Of course, for every apocalyptic theory there is also a scientist ready to step forward and debunk the entire thing.

Personally, I don't know what I think.

The fact is that Mayan calender cycles have ended before without any catastrophic repercussions. There were also just a race of people and were as unlikely to have the ability to predict the end of days as you and I. However, like anything, we only know what we've been told. If there was a black hole waiting just outside our gravitational field, the general public would be unlikely to know about it until their insides were on the outside. It's not that I don't trust governments to tell us the truth, it's just that I don't trust governments to tell us the truth. They're not going to want widespread panic, that'd wipe us out far quicker than any freak weather conditions.

Of course, the sensible part of my brain tells me that I'm probably going to see 2013 and not to worry but I know that, come the 21st of December, I will tell my husband I love him and kiss him before I leave the house. Just to be on the safe side.

Then, should the 22nd of December come, I'm going to breathe a sigh of genuine relief and go shopping. Just to watch all of the 2012 doom sayers panic buying Christmas presents...

No comments:

Post a Comment